Skip to main content

Innovation leadership - the Hamsa way





I have been in the game of leading innovation for nearly a decade now. I have been trying to understand how to choose the right innovation to pursue at the right time and take it to the right market. If I make a mistake on any one of the three, all my effort goes down the drain. To succeed in this complex role, I derive inspiration from the Hamsa bird. The unique traits of this bird is described in the most ancient Indian texts - the Vedas and the Upanishads. I will tell you more about Hamsa after we discuss the three challenges that I faced.
I am always on the look out for people with new ideas - I need to be good at identifying the most promising innovators (across functions and geographies). I avoid the classic mistake of trying to identify the most promising ideas. I find that all ideas are equally weak to begin with - the promise of the idea grows in strength only during the incubation Phase. I would not dare to judge an idea before it gets a chance to be incubated. What makes one idea succeed while many others get killed is determined by the quality of interaction that I have with the innovator during the incubation phase. I need to be good at identifying those few innovators with the right traits amongst many others who may be better at selling their ideas.
I also keep scouting for new technologies round the clock - i need to quickly assess the feasibility and the disruptive potential of these technologies when there is minimum data. I need to spot the most promising technologies amongst all the breakthroughs in additive manufacturing (aka 3D printing), alternative fuels, energy storage materials, smart sensors - there is seemingly no end to this list. I need to know enough about each of these technologies to choose the right one amongst the many hypes (refer to Mastering The Hype Cycle by Jackie Fenn and Mark Raskino).
I constanly seek new business opportunities and my success depends on my ability to focus on those few things that create value versus multitude of other things that do not create value. I need to do a good job of separating the most promising value creation opportunities from the rest of the crowd. I was in an innovation workshop the other day where a voice of customer survey revealed that what we thought was #1 customer requirement was actually # 6 ! I need correct and unbiased customer and market insights to drive innovation.
My success in these three dimensions depends on my ability to separate the few promising persons or technologies or business opportunites amongst the million other distractions. I was truly flabbergasted by the complexity of this task and that's when I looked at the Hamsa bird. Legend has it that the Hamsa can even separate the milk from the water. I wondered how and then I gathered two revealing facts from the ancient texts
(a) Hamsa represents knowledge - true knowledge. You would see Hamsa depicted along with Saraswathi (the goddess of knowledge).
(b) Hamsa stays aloof - though it is in water it keeps itself dry.
The innovation leader should strive to seek true knowledge of the innovator, the technology and the business opportunity. He should understand the innovator - what he is good at, what he is passionate about, what motivates him and what derails him. He also needs to understand the technology - is it really novel, is it feasible, is it differentiable etc. He needs to understand the business opportunity - is it real, is it profitable, is it the right time and place.
The innovation leader should stay aloof - he should not be distracted by the smart idea sellers, the hype around new technologies and the crazy rush towards new opportunities. Superficial knowledge can bias the leader to certain persons, technologies or opportunities. It is very important that he is impartial and balanced in his approach.
If you want to be successfull in leading innovation, strive for true knowledge and stay unbiased (aloof) like the Hamsa bird.

Comments

  1. thanks for posting this article , this article clearly indicates the importance of innovation in leadership. In this Business Incubation Program i got to learn the importance and impact of innovation in leadership and business environment, and it has helped me to take my business to a whole new level.
    Please keep Posting articles like this Shankar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just like the helpful info you provide to your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and check once more right here regularly. I'm somewhat sure I will be informed a lot of new stuff proper right here! Good luck for the following! shipping container sizes

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Innovation Flow - TEDx Live Talk at Pune

Transcript of my talk at TEDx Live event at Pune on 28 April 2017 Friends, I am here to share with you a secret – a secret recipe . It took me ten years to figure this out – it is a collective learning from coaching about a thousand innovators – I will share with you, in the next ten minutes, how to grow your idea into an innovation . 1.1 The challenge of converting ideas into innovations – the fear of rejection Most of us are reasonably good at spotting a good idea – but not all good ideas become innovation – innovation seems be a totally different animal. If you start with a hundred good ideas, can you guess how many will convert to successful innovation? It is hardly two or three – the conversion is very poor. Of the many barriers to converting ideas into innovation, I would like to take up the most powerful one. It is the fear of rejection – the fear of being laughed at for suggesting a crazy idea. How do we overcome this barrier? 1.2 The Logical Brain Vs th

Why & How we should study AI & Machine Learning (6 Easy Steps)

AI & ML are fundamental new technologies that can create immense value to humankind. It is very important for us to learn AI & ML and apply this knowledge in our work.  If you are somebody like me without prior exposure to computers, you may wonder where to begin the journey – I did some homework and found an easy step-by-step using online resources . It takes only 6 easy steps to gain mastery in AI & ML. I will start with sharing with you the talk that Risto Siilasmaa (Chairman, Nokia) gave in Nov, 2017 – “Why you should study AI and Machine Learning and how I did it”. Step # 1 - Risto Siilasmaa started his journey into AI & ML by asking, “Where could I find good material explaining how machine learning works in terms that would speak to an engineer who loves to understand how things work?” Step # 2 - “ Why not study machine learning myself and then explain what I learned to others who are struggling with the same questions. Perhaps I could motiva

Future Mobility Technology Trends - Insights from Paul Masceranas

Future Mobility Technology Trends a fire-side chat session with Mr Paul Masceranas, President SAE International at Mahindra Research Valley. When the SAE International President Mr Paul Masceranas visited Mahindra Research Valley on 24 June 2019, a small group of Inventors and Innovators had a fire-side chat session with Paul. The topics discussed covered a wide spectrum – from new-gen technologies like electric, autonomous, connected vehicles to the future of current technologies internal combustion engine (ICE) technologies, Diesel etc. Since Paul’s views on these topics could be of interest to a larger community of engineers, we thought of sharing a summary of the discussion here. Dr Shankar Venugopal (Vice President, Mahindra & Mahindra), Mr Paul Masceranas (President, SAE International) and Mr Murli Iyer (Executive Advisor – Global Affairs, SAE International) at the Mahindra Research Valley, Chennai (24 June 2019) The session started with the modera